Sunday, October 24, 2004

Leadership: Growth Spurt

I was chatting with my dad this morning and he mentioned this idea to me: Christians don't grow unless they become leaders.

We both agreed that this statement is somewhat simplistic since there are many ways to mature as a Christian. Still, I suggest that Christians will stagnate if they do not become leaders in some fashion. "Leading" does not mean becoming the speaker in front of a large group of people. It just refers to people taking charge and responsibility for the growth of other Christians.

A Christian that remains satisfied with being a follower or just one of the crowd (or being alone away from the crowd) will atrophy. It's surprising how much personal growth we find as we try to help others grow and as we become leaders in some way.

In my own experience, the most explosive period of growth that I have experienced in my life is when I decided to lead the youth worship team at my previous church and to start a cell group in my home. I learned so many things about myself and about others that mere teaching and Bible study would never have revealed to me.

Everyone can be a leader. More than that, the Great Commission expects Christians to do so. (Matthew 28) How else can we expect to "disciple all nations?" If you're reaching out to unsaved people or helping a new Christian grow in Christ, then welcome to leadership. You won't be the same.

No comments: