Friday, October 15, 2004

Swearing In

The comment section for one of Abe's recent posts gradually abandoned the main thread and became a discussion about swearing. Fair warning: Don't visit that thread if you mind reading various profanity. Some would debate even that caution because they would say that this thread does not include profane comments or words, according to their own definition of what can be considered profane.

Yesterday, I happened to mention that discussion at the new cell group that I joined this week. The immediate consensus of the majority was that various words and phrases besides explicitely taking the Lord's name in vain are definitely considered swear words. One verse that was quoted to defend this position was Ephesians 4:29 which says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

In Abe's cell group (which recently disbanded, may it rest in peace) we discussed this question before as well. The general conclusion in that case was more of a live and let live approach, with people indicating that they may or may not swear but that they try not to impose that principle on others. In this group, we preferred to keep swearing to a minimum but had a difficult time challenging other people if they swore. That was made even trickier because non-Christians would sometimes come and we would sometimes question the desire for clean language versus the desire to reach a non-Christian.

There is another group of 20-something Christian guys that I hang out with periodically and the general consensus there is that swearing is common, funny and should be used as often as anyone likes. In this group the two guys that do not swear (one being me) are definitely the odd men out and only the feeblest attempts are made to curb the amount of swearing heard during an evening. As opposed to the other groups I have found that, in practice, swearing in most forms is regularly encouraged here.

So in just these three groups of Christian young people I find three different approaches and views about swearing. Please feel free to chime in with your own opinion here. So what's my point, besides allowing further discussion about this issue?

I was surprised at how at ease and even happy I felt in my new cell group by simple virtue of the fact that I didn't have to get into large theological and/or philosophical debates to decide how to approach this issue. I could attribute that feeling to the mere fact that I agree with the group and that usually makes a person feel good. More than that, though, I really appreciate the show of Christian principle and real leadership.

In my Christian life, I want to aim for a standard that is higher and better than what this world declares is wise. I do not want to be satisfied with my life as it is, and I do not want to held back in this effort by my own Christian friends. I want Christian friends that will challenge me to go for the gold and not to settle for anything less. It's inspiring! I feel inspired.

Disclaimers: Don't take this as a slam against anyone. I was a part of each of these groups as much as anyone else was, and so I share/shared equally in the responsibility we had to each other. And if you happen to think that all forms of swearing is fine then go ahead, but I disagree with it and I will try to call people on it when they swear around me. As long as we don't beat down anyone with a 2x4 of holy judgement then we'll get along fine.

11 comments:

Mike said...

But they're just words; taken out of an immediate context, it's just winding passing over your vocal chords. Just like with any other word, the context is what matters. They can be used to attack and harm, or they can be used as a mere exclamation.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Perhaps, but "mere exclamations" using profanity in Canadian parliament or during a race car driver's TV interview are still a huge faux pas. That explanation may be a little simplistic as a defense of swearing.

Mike said...

It's not a defense, it's just saying what it is.

It's just a word. People are trained to be upset over it, and not for any particular reason. It's one of those totally arbitrary things that isn't worth a second's thought.

It's like that scene in Apocolypse Now. "They order us to drop liquid fire on people, but will not allow us to write the word "F---" on the bomb because it is obscene."

Titus said...

Words are something more then just what the context they are used in makes them. The structuralist and linguist Saussure (1857-1913) correctly said that words have meaning through other words in the language. Language is purely a matter of social convention. If a word is deemed rude by society then it become rude. There is nothing within the word that makes it rude. The history of the word also has no bearing, all we need concern ourselves with is how society currently views language. Throw etymology out the window.

Words also act a signs. When you think of a word is representing a sign, an object. That object is brought to mind when the word is heard or spoken.

Both these subjects tie into each other. The object derives its meaning from society just as the word derives meaning.

Titus

Amanda said...

Call me old fashioned, but I don't even like to use slang words!

I just find that it feels very unprofessional to swear, or even use slang. For example, saying "Gosh Darn" just doesn't sound pleasant to me. I did write a blog about this awhile ago...it's in the archives now, but it was actually from an old textbook about advice for young christian girls.

Perhaps it is old fashioned of me to think this way.

As far as being around others that swear, I think that we all choose to speak our own words. I'm not offended if people swear and I don't ask them to stop.

Swearing or not swearing is a personal choice we all have to make. Just like everything is a personal choice we have to make.

Cheers,

Mike said...

I'm certain those are hardly uncontested ideas, Titus. Language is a lot more fluid and personal than that. Society's accepted definitions are only part of the picture in daily life.

Mike said...

Which is why "Am I a chimpanzee???" couldn't be answered simply and easily.

Abe said...

Erp, I'm trying hard not to take paragraph 6 and 7 personally.

Titus said...

Who ever said that they weren't contested ideas. I believe that they are true and therefore everyone should believe them which is why I posted my views.

I don't think I understand your refrence to my chimpanzee statement....

Mike said...

Well, you were using that question to argue for objective truth, no? But there's no inherant meaning to the word "chimpanzee".

Example - the word "gentlemen." At one time, that specifically referred to a man who owned property. Now, it refers to a nice guy.

So 100 years ago, if you had jumped around the fire and said "Am I a gentlemen?" the answer would have been no.

Maybe a 100 years from now, the answer to your chimpanzee question will be yes.

And if you guys want to argue about the personal and fluid nature of language, why not you guys get together and give me a definition of the word "salvation." ;)

Jamie A. Grant said...

*whew* I'm losing my head in the clouds here and the air seems to be getting a bit thin. Lofty stuff.

As an addition to this blog post, I would like to thank my Christian friends that do challenge me and that are not willing to be satisified with mediocre Christianity. I have had many of them throughout my life and I have several of them now, and for that I thank each of you (albeit in an anonymous sort of way).